[Mageia-dev] Mageia3-B2 will no longer boot

Maurice Batey maurice at bcs.org.uk
Fri Mar 22 16:39:24 CET 2013

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 23:23:06 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:

> Have you tried switching to ctl+alt+f2 to see if you get a text login?

Yesterday I started a boot of  MGA-cauldron to try that - and it
successfully booted!
   So did a 470+-s/w update, after which it successfully booted again.

Today, however, it only properly booted twice out of a dozen attempts.

Sadly, on one of the occasions I again tried to get the netbook's display
onto an external monitor (which had been reporting 'Out of range' when
connected VGA-VGA) by changing the X server to use 800x600 (which is
supported by the external Viewsonic).
   Unfortunately that not only did not solve the problem but on the netbook
screen the display is now squashed into the bottom left-hand corner of the
screen, and although I can get into MCC/Hardware to change the resolution
back to 'Auto', it does not revert to the native 1024x600.
  So my Mageia-3B2 is unusable, though it has served its purpose*.

(N.B. Nevertheless, Mageia3 did much better than Ubuntu 12.04  and Mint 13,
both of which insisted on running the netbook at 800x600)

(* It has shown that the MGA3 Broadcom WiFi does work (although as I posted
on January 30th ("Beta32 and Broadcomm WiFi") I had far better success
connecting to the hotel's WiFi with Mageia-2 than I did with MGA3-Beta2,
which would seldom connect).

--
/\/\aurice