[Mageia-dev] Fw: Wifi

Juergen Harms juergen.harms at unige.ch
Sat Mar 23 19:17:37 CET 2013

On 03/23/2013 05:42 PM, Jose Jorge wrote:
> Are you sure it is the same problem? The little info says not wl driver :

not at all (- (but my guess is: probably yes)

All these people have problems configuring their wl driver, and are
ready to test new wl software (re little info: have a look at the
bugzilla reports) - I just tried to make a list in response to what
David Hodgins said on testing a fix as soon as it becomes available.

The primary problem I see is that in Mageia, two different approaches
for configuring drivers are available. Some hardware works with one,
some with the other, some with neither (and in some instances where one
does works, the other one interferes with negative consequences). I have
seen several opinions which approach to pursue - maybe the fundamental
problem still needs more clarification.

Questions seem to be (1) why does one (or both) driver(s) for BCMxxx not
work (in an ideal work, both should work, and the user should be able to
pick one or the other) and (2) as long as the 2 approaches are available
side-to-side, how/why do they interfere with each other and how can that
be kept under control and (3) what will Mageia suggest as a solution
that works out of the box for Mageia 3 and what approach does Mageia
prefer at mid-range (not necessarily the same) - the Jason Kaiser email
puts the user aspect of the problem into a nutshell.

Afterthought: an appropriate reply to Jason could be: this is cauldron
and still a pre-release ...