[Mageia-dev] Help needed with ldap server.and gdm.

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 21:41:43 CET 2013

I've been working on getting an ldap server working in Mageia 2,
and have a strange error, that I'm not sure how to debug.

I have two users. The user dave existed before adding the ldap
server, and is defined in both /etc/passwd (group and shadow too),
as well as in the ldap database. The user qatest is only defined
in the ldap database.

I've been using the instructions from
http://linsec.ca/Using_OpenLDAP_for_User_Authentication#Configuring_PAM_to_use_LDAP

In the auth section of /etc/pam.d/system-auth, if I use
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so likeauth nullok
both users are listed by gdm, but only the qatest user can login,
and the "su -" command fails with "unknown pam error". The user
dave can login ok in run level 3, and startx, but also cannot use
the "su -" command, or login via gdm

If I use the line
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
both users can login with run level 3, startx, and use "su -", but
the qatest user is not listed by gdm, so can't login with a normal
run level 5 startup, while the user dave can.

So it looks like I should be using pam_unix, but need something to
get gdm to list the ldap only user.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Dave Hodgins