[Mageia-dev] ANN: Upgrading from Mageia 2 via urpmi

Luca Olivetti luca at ventoso.org
Sat Mar 23 21:00:30 CET 2013

Al 18/11/12 17:37, En/na Colin Guthrie ha escrit:

> Happy testing. Let me know if it kills any kittens. Please keep a backup
> etc. etc.

I prepared a virtual machine with the same set of packages I have in the
real one with mageia 2 to test the upgrade.
Once installed the mageia-prepare-upgrade package, I rebooted using the
"Mageia 3 Upgrade Preparation" entry. Since the instructions don't say
anything, I used that same entry to perform the upgrade (should I have
rebooted in the original, plain, mageia 2).

Anyway, these are the issues I found:

0) In the "Mageia 3 Upgrade Preparation"  NetworkManager stopped
working, in its place the network applet was used (after the upgrade
both worked).

1) every other transaction complained with this message:

p11-kit: invalid config filename, will be ignored in the future:
/etc/pkcs11/modules/gnome-keyring-module

2) with less frequency there were these messages (usually 13 in a row,
with different 'xxx').

warning: Schema 'xxx' has path 'xxx'. Paths starting with '/apps/',
'/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.

3) a handful of packages complained that they couldn't remove files in
/var/run (I suppose that's to be expected)

4) some packages took a long time to execute the %post script

/bin/systemctl --quiet --try-restart (package)

which eventually failed

5) rtkit hung on the %post script
dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest=org.freedesktop.DBus /
org.freedesktop.DBus.ReloadConfig

Eventually I had to kill dbus-send to go on with the upgrade

6) some packages (e.g., cups, rpcbind, networkmanager and others) gave
this message

Migrating sysvinit service 'xxx' to systemd native unit 'xxx.service'
via systemd install rules.
Failed to issue method call: File exists

7) there was a file conflict between kipi-plugins and
kipi-plugins-htmlexport, I urpmed the latter.

8) I had some problem rebooting (I was using a konsole in kde), the kde
menu bar didn't work, trying to do an acpi shutdown didn't work, text
console didn't work. Eventually I just pulled the virtual plug.

9) plymouthd complained but I hadn't time to write down the message, it
eventually booted fine (but with no graphical menu, probably because the
initrd was generated running the "Mageia 3 Upgrade Preparation" entry).

Apart from these problems, it seems the upgrade went well, though I
didn't do any extensive testing (just booted it).

Bye
--
Luca