[Mageia-dev] automated installer testing

Glen Ogilvie nelg at linuxsolutions.co.nz
Thu Mar 28 01:57:11 CET 2013

Hi,

Has anyone done, or thought about, setting up some automated testing
of the Mageia installer?

I am thinking something based on:
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Auto_inst, testing inside a VM, with
a range of different installer configurations, like:

* different languages
* Free / non-free
* package selections, minimal, full, custom
* partitioning optons
* LVM options
* encryption options
* filesystem types
* software raid options
* known error cases (too small / filesystem), /boot on something not supported
* grub and grub2
* different CPUs, RAM, architectures.

I am thinking that if we had an auto-inst, with maybe 50 or so
different test cases, all of which would then be verified by an ssh
script connecting to the VM, or something like that.

I've found 3 bugs recently, all of which would have been able to be
detected by something like what I am suggesting.

Suggestions so far are:

nicolas vigier:
* For automatic testing it would be possible to use OS-autoinst :
http://www.os-autoinst.org/
* What we need is someone to add support for Mageia installer :
https://github.com/bmwiedemann/os-autoinst/tree/master/distri

Pierre-Malo Deniélou:
"Great idea. Can you prototype it? We should use something like that for
mageia 4."

Anne Nicolas:
"I remember some people starting something about it Furthermore it could
be interested to have some virtualization for basic tests once rebooted"

Regards
Glen Ogilvie