[Mageia-discuss] FSF backing would be a huge boost for Mageia

José Israel de León Cordón jidc07 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 06:38:32 CEST 2010

 El 18/09/10 21:15, Jeremiah Summers escribió:

>     > On Sep 18, 2010, at 10:42 PM, Praveen A <pravi.a at gmail.com
>     <mailto:pravi.a at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     >
>     >> Dear Mageia folks,
>     >>
>     >> I believe getting FSF support for Mageia would be a huge boost
>     for our
>     >> distro. Also there is no major distro in the list of FSF approved
>     >> distributions, yet. We could be the first major/established distro
>     >> (well we have the legacy from Mandrake days) there. We are very
>     close
>     >> already, I believe we have to let go of only non-free firmware from
>     >> the kernel.
>     >>
>     >> Here is the FSF guidelines
>     >> http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html
>     >>
>     >> Can we commit to these guidelines?
>     >>
>     >> Thanks
>     >> Praveen
>

> Please NO! I have watched this ruin other Linux distributions when it
> comes to usability. Let's look at it from a community stand point and
> not some hippies agenda. Thanks.

For me madriva success has been combining the best of free software
with non free, there are things we do not have free software
(Drivers, plugins, codecs, etc.), if we remove the closed software
greatly affect the usability of the system, something that
I personally do not like, much less to users who do not know about
diference between free software and non free, who only want to operate
their computers. I think
to allow non-free software, the result is the best experience
to the end user and the comfort of their hardware works. Sorry for my
English.