[Mageia-discuss] mandrivausers.org

Jerome Quelin jquelin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 16:28:37 CEST 2010

On 10/09/19 16:27 +0300, Harijs Buss wrote:
> Pardon my "politically incorrect" questions, but nevertheless:

there are no politcally incorrect questions. with mageia, we'll try to
be as transparent as possible, to avoid doing the same errors (come on,
there are a whole lot of other possible mistakes to be done! :-) )

> 1) Is Mageia just a publicity stunt to generate some more users for
> the same Mandriva, as it might be understood from your letter?

no. mageia is a mandriva fork, and there's no plan to re-unite the
forks. there will be 2 separated distributions, each with their own
goals & achievements.

> 2) Is Mageia a "better Mandriva" keeping good values of Mandriva, as
> it might be understood from Jerome Quelin letter in
> http://lwn.net/Articles/406058/  ?

note that the mail i sent to cooker mailing list was just a copy of
    http://mageia.org

the goal is to use mandriva as the technical base, and grow it as a
community-oriented project. so we aim at keeping what's good in
mandriva, and enhance it where it's needed.

> 3) Is Mageia some completely new distribution to be built from scratch
> and having nothing in common with Mandriva Linux, as it might be
> understood from several letters here in mageia-discuss list?

it's a fork: the base will be mandriva. but once mageia's infrastructure
is in place, we'll start updating packages & the distribution as a whole
- this means that codebase will diverge more & more with time.

i hope this answers your questions.

jérôme
jquelin at gmail.com