[Mageia-discuss] UK user community?

Thomas Lottmann skiperdrake at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 12:21:17 CEST 2010

  Le 20/09/2010 11:44, James Kerr a écrit :
> On Monday 20 September 2010 Margot wrote:
>
>> Other countries seem to be organising user communities, but I've
>> not seen anything for the UK. Perhaps it is easier for some other
>> countries as they already had active Mandriva user communities - I
>> never managed to find one for the UK, so perhaps it never existed!
>>
>> Has anybody set up anything for UK Mageia users? If not, would
>> anybody from the UK be prepared to help me to start something?
> Could you elaborate on what purpose you see such a group serving?
> Perhaps one never existed for Mandriva is because no one could think
> of a good reason for creating it. :)
>
> It seems to me that geographically based user groups serve little
> purpose. In contrast to language based user groups which clearly are
> needed, as evidenced by the success of Blogdrake and others.
>
> Jim

It may be useful to create a mageia-uk structure to promote and regroup
users in all the United Kingdom, but only a website portal then, because
the anglophone forum would be the international one in english.

There could also be a mageia-us website portal, linking to the same
anglophone wiki and forum. Yet, an independant portal would help
informing local users of local news and events, in addition to the
worldwide news and events. The aim is to help UK and US users to also
have local news according to their territory and be able to organize and
avertise about Mageia events in the UK or the US, and also have some
Open Source news form these territories.

The forum and the wiki that are still in construction (if they are) are
language-dependant. But I think that a website portal can be community
maintained and can be dependant on a territory to be able to offer
specific news and events as well. Non-anglophone countries do have their
own portals and local news and events, I see no reason for UK and US
communities to not have their own, despite linking it to the
anglophone/international forum.

Well, that's just an idea...

Skiper.