[Mageia-discuss] Repositories: Was [UK user community?]

Oliver Burger burger at webgis.de
Mon Sep 20 13:27:23 CEST 2010

I totally agree with Thomas,

as some may know, the German community has their own repo as well. The reason
was the somehow difficult procedure in contributing packages to Mandriva.
But: we have decided to contribute to mageia directly in the future. Like
Thomas said, many Third-party repos make it difficult for the users to find and
install packages. It also leads to dependency problems sometimes, when
packages from different third party repos collide.
And even if there are packages which are only of use to people with some
language, nationality and so on. Why shouldn't they be in the official repos.
E.g. I don't speak any asian language but the tools for those languages did
never disturb me. They were just there in the repo without ane sideeffects to
my system...

Oliver

Thomas Lottmann <skiperdrake at gmail.com>
>   Le 20/09/2010 12:53, atilla ontas a écrit :
> > Also local communities can package software just for their needs and
> > won't placed in official repos. Like we providing Zekr (Quran study
> > tool) and zemberek (Turkish spell-checking tool) on Mandriva Turkiye
> > repository (MVT)
>
> Just a not : I am against this form of packaging only for a group of
> people. Anywhere in the world someone who wants to study a language,
> turkish for xample, may need it. Currently we need to focus all our
> efforts in Mageias official repositories and avoid as much as possible
> having too many different repositories. Programs are usually not
> territory dependant.
>
> That's out of subject anyway, but I wanted to tell clearly my opinion on
> this. Remember : Mageia takes back the same spirit of easy to use and
> simplicity that comes form Mandriva and Mandrake. Fiddling with many
> extra repositories is then what we do not want to hear about. This would
> even force people to be members or to visit the website to add the repo
> and then access te program they were looking for. So, that's just no to me.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Oliver Burger
burger at webgis.de

in medias res Gesellschaft für Informationstechnologie mbH
Schwimmbadstr. 2
79100 Freiburg

Tel: +49 (0)761 705798101
Fax: +49 (0)761 70579809

http://www.webgis.de / http://www.zopecms.de
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Giese, Dr. Christof Lindenbeck
Eingetragen im Handelsregister HRB 5930 beim Amtsgericht Freiburg