[Mageia-discuss] Mageia's objectives and foundations

Michael scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Sep 24 16:08:09 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 10:50:20AM -0300, Gustavo Ariel Giampaoli wrote:
> These are the things that will lead the way for Mageia project.
>
> I really don't know if "founders" are already writing or thinking some of these.

Yes, they are at this very moment right before my eyes.

> But IMHO that we could be "inspired" by http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview
>
> This is very related with what Graham Lauder said in this e-mail:
> https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-dev/20100923/000163.html
>
> I think that sayt our objective is "to fork Mandriva because Mandriva
> S.A. is incompetent" is not enough.

It is not the objective, just a consequence :)

> Something that I think is very important and found in Fedora's wiki is
> the "User base": http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User_base
>
> They describe "the minimum level of consumer for whom we'll design the
> default offering". I guess this is the user they are targeting. This
> is very important to avoid "fights" in the future when someone says
> "the distro must be for newbbies" and another says "the distro must be
> for advanced users", and a developer stands up and says "the distro is
> what I want it to be because I scratch my own back" (no offence
> intended)
>
> If you say "this is the target", then we all will shoot to it.

It took something like 6 months to produce the page you gave. And Fedora people have
also worked on this since a long time.

Our project as announced less than a week ago, and there is lots of work
to do to get basic infrastructure, answer mails and so on.

So could people please start to consider that we are only human living
in a world with 24h a day, and therefor, that everything cannot be yet written,
and that we should rush important document like this ?

--
Michael Scherer