[Mageia-discuss] About decisions in Mageia

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 22:16:00 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 21:46, Maarten Vanraes
<maarten.vanraes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Op vrijdag 24 september 2010 13:20:42 schreef Dimitrios Glentadakis:
> [...]
>> 2)  for many elements as logo, colors, names etc, there will be a poll (we
>> have already the cooker's name poll), i think that some times the polls are
>> not able to guide the distribution to its goal, and the decisions must be
>> taken from the board team.
>>
>> My 2 cents
>
> I completely agree, communities are great, but i think these stuff should be
> advisable only, and we should get board members who can decide on these
> things, because they are knowledgable in their own area.
>
> I don't think the community should be disregarded by the board, but sometimes
> the board should decide differently by the community because the community
> doesn't know everything.

Then it should know.

I know this may sound like an innocent wish, but I mean it.

The "board" will have to motivate every decision/move it takes -
especially if this very decision was to go against most
recommandations/wishes from the community (he, who knows, it may
happen).

We expect Mageia, not to disclose, but to publish all information,
data, metrics about the project, developement, tasks, maybe about
product usage and about decisions. Or at least, not to keep them
hidden on purpose.

That will require to identify what useful metrics are and to
understand them for what they're worth (and not). That will require
some education on what metrics we can collect (think about privacy and
right here), how we collect them, how we use and learn from these.

Not that it will be easy or without mistake at first. But that's what
we expect as well.

Romain