[Mageia-discuss] Mailist etiquette -- gentle reminder

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 07:25:16 CEST 2010

On 24 September 2010 21:21, Marc Paré <marc at marcpare.com> wrote:
> Le 2010-09-24 14:04, Remco Rijnders a écrit :

>>> Sorry, but reality shows that nobody reads such confirmation messages
>>> except for the part where a password is given or other such
>>> information. Did you read the whole confirmation message from mailman
>>> for this list? I did not.
>>
>> I would have if I had not recognised it was nothing but the default
>> mailman message.
>>
>> Or perhaps a pointer to a page with etiquette information instead of the
>> obvious that gets appened to every post on this list now.
>>
>> It may not help for all cases (if indeed as you claim nobody reads these),
>> but surely it can't hurt?
>>
>> Remco
>
> I really think it is easier if some people accept the responsibility of
> doing a gentle reminder every now and then to the list. It takes seconds to
> do this. However, it should be sent by someone who has an official
> designation to make impact/clout. This is normally done through the email
> identifier, in this case, "____ at mageia.org". It can be a temporary
> assignation till the organization is more structured. I am surprised that
> the email address assignation has not been addressed. It is such an easy
> thing to set up.
>
> Marc

Well, first they set the servers in the datacenter(s) first, then
aliases, @mageia.org, assigning ensues. (Personally I don't see a
particular hurry about that especially as there's no SVN repos yet).

Also bear in mind that the news about the new fork made a lot of users
start using mailing lists for the first time (I see some users who're
more used to using forums posting here \o/). So it's not just a
reminder, but actually a first-time-note about the whole
mailing-lists-posting-etiquette which is brand new to some users.

--
Ahmad Samir