[Mageia-discuss] Think about bugzilla monitoring?

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 11:41:30 CEST 2010

On 26 September 2010 11:04, Juergen Harms <Juergen.Harms at unige.ch> wrote:
> Ahmad - I agree that improving bug responsiveness can also be done from
> within the triage team, and that this team severely suffered from
> understaffing - even without additional tasks on their slate.
>
> To get a better idea about the quantitative requirements (and an idea on the
> X and Y of Michael Scherrer): how many active members are there at present
> in the Mandriva triage team?

Let's say in the past 1-2month, the number of the active triage team
members is one, with 3-4 others poping in every now and then. Of
course, it depends on how much free time each member has.

Also you can add to that number the active devs/packagers, who aren't
triage team members, but who would triage bugs they hit. Also
previously Frederic Crozat read every bug report, even if he didn't
post/comment on all of them.

So you could say the collective number of people actively triaging
bugs is 3-5...

> Given the present size of the Mandriva user
> community (and similar activeness of team members), by what factor would you
> whish to increase the size of the team?

As much as possible of course, and best if they're specialized in
different areas, Perl, Python, C++, Kernel... etc. Also if each one of
them uses a different DE.

> There is also a question of motivation: it is so much more motivating to
> work in a team where you can see the positive results of your work - if
> bugzilla triage and and bug handling gets a more positive image (maybe that
> is also an issue of internal PR), it will be easier to recruit volonteers -
> here lies the principal reason why I only considered to, but did not,
> respond to the "join the triage team" post in Mandriva. And motivation
> becomes even more important in the Mageia volonteer-only environment - very
> OK today, but tomorrow?

Triage team always has volunteers rather than paid employees. Adam
Williamson, paid employee, was triaging bugs where Pacho Ramos and Udo
Rader were contributors (just names of the top of my head). You see,
for non-developers, like me, triaging bugs is a good/easier way to
contribute, (for example I am not a kernel hacker, I can't help with
kernel stuff in the distro).

To conclude, it's not about how many people are triaging bugs as much
as it's about how many people are fixing them. A bigger triage team
without a higher number of devs/packagers fixing bugs isn't gonna
change the situation that much....

--
Ahmad Samir