[Mageia-discuss] Mageia's strategy

Renaud MICHEL r.h.michel+mageia at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 19:33:46 CEST 2010

On dimanche 26 septembre 2010 at 18:42, david wrote :
> For example my wish would be a generalist distro (like ubuntu) for
> newbies and/or microsoft users, easy to use, eyecandy, completely
> customized in french, much more ergonomic than mandriva in order to
> propose it for my customers (I founded a company to promote Linux and
> opensource to individuals & professionnals). So i would prefer a gnome
> (or e17 let's be crazy !) , with an eyecandy, sobre and zen theme (for
> example I like Dropline neu for the icons and Unity), with applications
> included like simple-scan and deja-dup (for backups) etc...

I disagree here.
I am a power-user, and what I like with mandriva so far is that, while still
providing an easy to install distro with sensible defaults, it does not hide
away all the power you can get from a Unix/Linux OS. It is still quite easy
to tweak the system.
For example, as a java developer I am happy to have multiple JDK available
which can be installed in parallel (good for testing), while the average
user will simply get the default (openjdk actually).

Like P. Christeas said in his rant, I don't want mageia to be dumbed down,
IMO the current status of mandriva (and so the starting point of mageia) is
a good compromise: it is easy to have a working install, but it is also easy
to customize it to your needs while staying compatible with future updates.

cheers
--
Renaud Michel