[Mageia-discuss] rpm or deb?

vfmBOFH vfmbofh at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 00:44:10 CEST 2010

2010/9/23 RAVI KUMAR BALASUBRAMANIAM <ravikumar17jan at gmail.com>

> only thing i hate about mandriva is its rpm based packages
> i prefer apt and deb personally

Hi all.

I use several distros, sombe rpm-based, some deb-based.

IMHO, there's no real difference between both package types. All troubles
i've found on rpm packages are exactly the same i've found on .deb ones. And
all are for the same reason: The package has some error on their build
process (bad dependences, outdated versions of them...)

So, i see no objective reason to change rpm-packaging system. But we must be
carefully until paranoia when we're building them. A well-done build rpm
package works as smooth and clean than a well-done build .deb one.

If you're looking some other aspects (i.e. performance of the package
manager) there's no sensible difference for a normal user between both
package types. You can find urpmi slower than apt-get, or viceversa. I've
found opposite opinions about this ever among my colleagues. This leads to
me that i'ts a subjective (or particular system-dependant) estimation.

Cheers.