[Mageia-discuss] Mageia with Synaptic

Dwight Paige dwightpaige79 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 05:28:29 CEST 2010

On 09/26/2010 03:53 PM, lorne schachter wrote:
>   I've started using PCLinuxOS, so I've got some experience with
> Synaptic and I like it, especially when it goes through and tells you
> what else has to be installed when you do an upgrade/install.  It can
> sit on top of urpmi (I think, since I can do manual installs that show
> up in Synaptic also), so it makes a good add-on.
>
> ---------------
> Lorne Schachter
> 136 Washington Ave
> Edison, NJ 08817
> (732)819-9176
> lorne at isp.com
>

> On 09/26/2010 03:22 PM, paulo ricardo wrote:
>> When the mandrake joined with Conectiva they will throw away the
>> package manager developed by the Brazilian company, the "Synaptic"!
>> Synaptic began to be adopted in debian systems, and these systems now
>> exceed the mandriva!
>>
>> We should keep the center of control over the exchange through
>> Synaptic package manager and deploy a second interface for users with
>> less knowledge.

Not sure if I get what this thread is about. APT and Synaptic are in
Mandriva repos. I've used apt and synaptic in Mandriva, openSuSE, and
Fedora. In Mandriva I actually prefer rpmdrake but the choice is and has
been there since I started in Linux with Fedora Core 3. Whenever that
was. Given that is that it requires apt for rpm.

Does anyone really think there's a snowballs chance in New Orleans of
Mageia devs going to .deb packages? Not that there's anything wrong with
that...