[Mageia-discuss] List language

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 18:45:56 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 17:49, Lucien-Henry Horvath <tempo2 at marneau.eu> wrote:
> [...]
> For me english is not THE culture of the world ... and a lot of countries
> are thinking that.

So do I. It does not prevent me from using English when I believe it
is the most appropriate communication tool.

It's not a matter of "which is the most spoken language" or "which
would be the one world language" for culture or anything else
(nonsense). Far from that, for a native English speaker (even a native
American English speaker) must certainly have a hard time not to
correct people all the time here. :-)

It's a matter of having a common "working language" for everyone. Here
(mageia-discuss), we use English as a lingua franca/vehicular
language. Because:
 - it's the most likely available international language that we, the
founding team, manage to read/write/speak;
 - it's the most likely common language for everyone we expect to
involve in this project at this time;
 - we're not in this to promote full interaction in each other native
language (that would be a nice challenge great, but it's not this
place's goal).

In other places, you/we may/will use locally more appropriate idioms
(blogs, other local ml, websites, forums).

Mageia-discuss is a list:
 - where people can resonate discussions from other places/idioms;
 - from which people can translate/purport discussions to other places/idioms.

We use "English" here. Note that doesn't prevent from using local
pieces of idioms when in context and explained.

Cheers! Santé !

Romain