[Mageia-discuss] who knows about site mageia-br?

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 18:42:21 CEST 2010

On 28 September 2010 18:26, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2010/9/28 Ahmad Samir <ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Gmail doesn't do proper message threading like other email clients who
>> do it properly e.g. thunderbird or evolution.
>
> Oh, really? I did not know that.
>
> So I repeat my earlier question what to do:
>
> 1. I'm switching computers more than once a day. I do not have
> installation access to all of those, so using IMAP and installing a
> client with my access data on all machines I use is not an option.
>
> 2. I'm travelling and sometimes I have to use internet cafés for net
> access. I can't use the machines there to access my IMAP account.
>
> 3. Over the last year I switched all my mail accounts to be gathered
> at Googlemail, because of the reasons I mentioned above.
>
> I do not want to break threads and I want to follow the lists, so, any
> good advices what I can do?

No, I think I wasn't clear enough (sorry about that).

Go on using gmail like you do; I've been using it with all the
Mandriva ML's for the past 1-2years (web mail via firefox, I didn't
use any email clients) and I didn't get any complaints of breaking
threads when I post/reply to the ML(s).

You see, when sending emails gmail does send the message headers and
everything properly.

Gmail differs in just how it *groups* the received emails in threads
(called conversations in the gmail world). The example I gave, about
the bugs mailing list, is a good one, when the subject line changes
gmail splits the thread (when you reply to an ML thread you're not
changing the subject line); an email client would be more thorough and
see that it's the same thread even though one word changed in the
subject line (bugzilla adds the keyword to the subject line, e.g.
NEEDINFO). But that's probably a corner case.

FWIW, I've never used gmane, I subscribe to the various mailing lists
directly. Also note that you haven't broken any threads with all the
emails you sent up till now ;)

--
Ahmad Samir