[Mageia-discuss] Package management system

Per Øyvind Karlsen peroyvind at mandriva.org
Wed Sep 29 09:55:35 CEST 2010

2010/9/29 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>:
> Le mercredi 29 septembre 2010 à 00:25 +0200, Morgan Leijström a écrit :
>
>> How compatible is rpm5 to build system and installers?
>> Is it possible to begin the move gradually or must it be changed in one big
>> step?
>
> Packages would not reqired change.
> However, it would requires change on tools.
>
> So, I think a big step is required, AFAIK.
Not really, I've been porting more or less most tools of the
distribution to rpm5 already.
rpm5 also carries with it the much cleaned up rewrite of Nanar's perl
bindings with it upstream, where the rpm4 bindings are left pretty
much unmaintained and not used by others, making it necessary to port
them to rpm.org's new API for every new series (they're currently
ported to and fully working with 4.6 only)...

For demonstration of rpm5 on Mandriva, Unity Linux provides an
excellent example of a distribution providing just this already. :)

As you seem to lack a rpm maintainer, I'd suggest for you to welcome
Jeff's interest:
16:54:50 < jbj> Nanar: ping. how many distros do you mirror? btw, sign
me up for the MDV fork, just poke w a URI to packages whenever ...

(being actively involved with rpm5 upstream and already helping out
maintaining it in Unity also, I'd be happy to provide you with any
assistence needed if going with rpm5 as well. :)

--
Regards,
Per Øyvind