[Mageia-discuss] Will Mageia meet small businesses' needs?

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Wed Sep 29 13:27:57 CEST 2010

P. Christeas wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 September 2010, Henri de Solages wrote:
>
>> 1) Small businesses ...  I would prefer a system that JUST WORKS ...
>>
> I second to the whole content of that email.

I think that's highly unlikely.  No volunteer-driven Linux distro is
going to produce the type of turnkey commodity system Henri describes.
Volunteers are generally techies who value flexibility and choice; for a
distro to serve all the needs of its contributors (and why else would
they contribute ?), flexibility and choice are crucial.

What he describes is typically the product of after-market niche
packagers producing things like netbooks.  Real-world distributions are
in the business of appealing to as many people as possible, and
certainly not in the business of saving a small business owner the cost
of hiring a sysadmin to customize the distro to his exact needs.