[Mageia-discuss] Will Mageia meet small businesses' needs?

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 29 13:44:08 CEST 2010

2010/9/29 Oliver Burger <oliver.bgr at googlemail.com>:
> Frank Griffin <ftg at roadrunner.com> schrieb am 2010-09-29
>> I think that's highly unlikely.  No volunteer-driven Linux distro is
>> going to produce the type of turnkey commodity system Henri describes.
>> Volunteers are generally techies who value flexibility and choice; for a
>> distro to serve all the needs of its contributors (and why else would
>> they contribute ?), flexibility and choice are crucial.
> +100
>
> I do think, there would be a lot of people, leaving Mageia if we should start
> only concentrating on one desktop and so on.
>
> But: It's all OpenSource, everybody can take a Mageia release and create a
> product out of it, he can sell...

As with Mandriva Linux I expect community generated "Editions" being
compiled anyway (like XFCe, LXDE, special editions for netbooks,
tablets with touchscreens, etc.). So why not an edition for such Small
Business, nothing to say against somebody creating a business around
Mageia - as long as it is not the Mageia organisation itself.