[Mageia-discuss] we need a NEW mageia-artwork MAILING LIST!!

Graham Lauder yorick_ at openoffice.org
Wed Sep 29 20:23:27 CEST 2010

On Thursday 30 Sep 2010 03:43:58 Romain d'Alverny wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 14:42, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> > Oh, and I forgot, before doing a poll, I think we need to select logo
> > according to some criterias :
> > [...]
>
> Could you review and complete
> http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=artguide with those you added? I'll
> have some to insert as well.
>
> > - see how trademark issue will be handled, this not decided yet, and
> > that's quite a sensitive topic, as you need to be permissive and
> > protective in the same time.
>
> Rights on artwork will have to be transmitted to the association,
> which will register the logo as a trademark. Precisely because that's
> a sensitive thing indeed.
>
> > And I am sure that experienced designers may add some others
> > requirements to this. There is a page about this
> > http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=artguide
> >
> > And once everything is cleared, if there is some logos left, then we
> > could proceed to a poll.
> >
> > But I think that a poll will open a lot of questions : who can express
> > their opinion, what guarantees will we have it to not be hijacked ( as
> > could doodle be ), how do we ensure a representative choice ?
> > Ie, if we ask on people on this list, are we sure to have a logo that
> > would please everyone else ? Do we want to ?
>
> Obviously a poll can be indicative, but decision in last resort will
> be somewhere between the founding board and the community
> council/board (more to come about this, very soon). Because a logo is
> not only a like/don't like thing and it should fit the destination of
> the project in the long term.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Romain

With regard to Logo selection any poll of the community must only include Logo
proposals that fit within a predetermined selection criteria.

a) It offends NOONE
b) It is scaleable:  ie instantly recognisable at any size from  16px to > A1
c) It is unique
d) It is attractive to the TARGET MARKET
e) Ideally but not compulsorily can be easily adjusted to suit different
markets
f)  Fits within branding guidelines
g) Fits branding guidelines
h) Fits branding
I)  Fits

It would be nice if it told a story, but until we figure out our brand, there
is NO story.  The logo is a single part of a holistic picture and it has to
fit that landscape along with pallets, fonts, vision and so on.

Please can the community develop a pallet and a brand strategy first, then we
find a logo that fits that.

I have a suggestion for a target market and for that I'm going to start
another thread.

Cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org