[Mageia-discuss] Mageia Mirror size

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Fri Oct 1 11:08:57 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-01 02:15, Tux99 a écrit :
> On Fri, 1 Oct 2010, Thomas Backlund wrote:
>
>> chag skrev 1.10.2010 05:15:
>>
>> This also affects how many downstream mirrors that want to help,
>> as they all ask: "do we want to host another ~1TB or so..."
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if in the long run mirrors currently mirroring
> Mandriva will dump Mandriva and support Mageia instead.
> In that case their space requirements would not change.

I don't think that the mirrors will necessarily drop mirror support for
Mandriva for Mageia because the Mandriva brand does carry some weight
and they have not, as of yet' abandoned the developing MandrivaLinux.
They are still in the server market and have said that their consumer
product will be carried on as usual.

This is where the marketing of the Mageia brand would maybe make a
difference. If the stated goals of Mageia are clear and marry well with
the mirror site philosophies then we could probably convince sites to
mirror Mageia.

Taking a look at mirror sites, it is evident that the larger mirrors are
universities and educational institutions. If Mageia goals are to
construct a linux distro with emphasis on serving the educational needs
of its users, then this may help in convincing sites to mirror Mageia
repos. This does not mean that ALL of Mageia would be focused on the
educational aspect of the distro but the MAIN focus of goals is the
educational aspect of the distro.

I also agree, that seeing as games take a big chunk of the size of the
storage considerations, it may be best to establish a mirror distro.
Mageia could maybe see if another distro would be interested in
cooperating and pooling resources and help in establishing a mirror
service solely for games service.

I also helps if some of the devs are university students and they may be
able to convince their particular university to host a repository. But I
expect that universities would want to see clear stated objectives of a
new distro's philosophy before taking on a mirror.

I don't think that we could use the "We are the Mandriva community
replacement." argument, as Mandriva has clearly stated that their
consumer distro will be developed by devs from emerging countries rather
than in Europe. In fact, this argument itself from Mandriva gives them
more reason as to why educational institutions may continue to carry
their mirrors.

Would it be enough to convince one university for each country to carry
a mirror of Mageia at this time? Would this be enough to start of with?

Marc