[Mageia-discuss] Wish List

Mika Laitio lamikr at pilppa.org
Sun Oct 3 01:08:44 CEST 2010

>> Given past experience with the x.0 releases of Mandrake/Mandriva perhaps we
>> should start counting releases with x.1 ?
>
> How about we give up the x.0 and x.1 release naming?
> It's just helping to give misconceptions about the releases, for example
> that x.1 releases are more polished than y.0, which was never intended.
>
> We could go with a Fedora like naming, incremental numbering.
> Mageia 1, Mageia 2, Mageia 3, ...

My feeling is that the year based numbering is most clearest and actually
was a good change from Mandriva some years ago.

For releases cycles, I have also been pretty happy. I have some computers
(laptops and servers where I often skip every second release if things
like suspend/resume are working at the moment). But I have couple of
computers where I on the other hand want always test the latest stuff, and
for those the 6 month cycle is good.

Given the amount of time that is needed for polishing things, maybe the
8-9 month cycle like in suse would indeed be a good compromise?

Mika