[Mageia-discuss] Wish List

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 4 02:38:01 CEST 2010

2010/10/4 Graham Lauder <yorick_ at openoffice.org>:

> The OpenSUSE dvds are a perfect example.  The packaging up to 11.2 was
> designed by the community, Green and Grey looked very professional and well
> packaged.  I did three events at the last years Software Freedom day and gave
> away about 30 of the hundred I had.  I decided to make a play for LCA and got
> a box I think of 11.2 a sleeve with a picture of a grey CD on it and ended
> with a wjhole lot left over.
>
> Then Novell farmed out the production of the promo DVDs to a company called
> OpenSLX and they repackaged them, funky graphics aimed at a young market
> bright colours and no grey.  There were a lot of unhappy people on the lists.
> Railing at this stupid colourful nonsense.
>
> The difference was at SFD this year I ran out of DVDs, all that I had I gave
> away.  Packaging, colours, funky graphics it works, but not in isolation it
> has to be part of a whole package.

Matches my experience with CDs/DVDs on events. Put 20 CDs without
colorful labels beside 100 CDs with colored labels, both stacks with
the same software - you will end up with 20 unlabeled CDs left, no
labeled left. That's obvious.

The downside with this experiment is: at exhibitions many people grab
everything which looks nice, then afterwards they start looking at
those things and sorting out what to take home and what to throw away.
You can see it everywhere at consumer exhibitions, be it Solutions
Linux, Linux World Expo, Linuxtag - outside the buildings you will
find lots of colorful nice looking things in the waste baskets.

After I learned that back in 2000 where Mandrakelinux handed out 4000
CDs on one weekend, I don't give anything on this particular feature.
Don't get me wrong, the wrapping is important. But by the end of the
day the contents is what counts, not the wrapping.