[Mageia-discuss] Wish List

doug dougrb at o2.co.uk
Mon Oct 4 12:44:39 CEST 2010

> As for proprietary winmodem drivers, there is nothing that
> Mageia could really do as drivers are normally not allowed
> to be distributed by third parties. But, like you mention,
> some softmodems are supported. I guess it all depends on how
> lucky/unlucky you are when you buy your desktop or laptop
> computer. On the positive side however, the trend for major
> computer builders this year is that they have been moving
> away from "windows" only modem/ethernet cards. They are
> including more OS inclusive hardware. Although, I believe
> that this has also a lot to do with the Kernel version used
> by Mageia as some of the OSS drivers are included in the
> kernel.
>
> So to re-cap this wish:
>
> -- Mageia should be a little more sensitive to users who
> have telephone hookups by providing and installing the tools
> right at the very first install. There should be no
> downloading of software at all if you are setting up a
> dial-up connection in the MCC (Mageia Control Centre)
>
> -- Mageia should also try to be sensitive to the telephone
> hook-ups by including the necessary tools for installing
> winmodems/softmodems.
>
> Cheers
>
> Marc

Can I put in a plea on behalf of users who can't even use a
telephone hook-up because of the appalling phone connection,
e.g. in a rural area through Telecom Italia, and are obliged
to depend on a 'dongle'?

I found an installation procedure for my dongle freely
available on the internet; it's not proprietary. In fact the
Windows installation disk that comes with the dongle itself
uses it. AFAICT it's the details of the dialer defaults, in
particular the init strings, that would have to be sorted
out for different broadband providers.

Doug