[Mageia-discuss] Mailing List to Web Forum Bidirectional Gateway

Patricia Fraser trish at thefrasers.org
Mon Oct 4 17:48:55 CEST 2010

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 17:32:11 +0200
Frederic Janssens <fjanss at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 16:35, Patricia Fraser <trish at thefrasers.org>
> wrote:
>

> > And if users are rude and nasty to devs or packagers, then there
> > won't be a distro. So, we need to find ways to help both sets of
> > people be good to each other - understanding, polite and make sure
> > that users get to know which forums/MLs/IRC channels are the right
> > ones to use, and how to do proper bug reports, and devs/packagers
> > know to show users where to go for help/how to report bugs etc.
> >

> Yes, it is best not taken as an all/nothing issue.
> I think we need to find or invent a diversified structure, whith clear
> directions and rules, partly automatically enforced, partly by
> moderation. (And progressively automatise frequent problems dectected
> by moderators.)
>
> The aim is to :
>
> 1. prevent users from seeing no way to report problems, and those who
> think they have reported a problem from feeling nobody listens
>
> 2. prevent devs/packagers from beeing flooded
>
> There will probably be some trial and error involved, but if we
> succeed  I think there will be a great payoff.
>
> I also think there will be a need, at least initially, for more
> moderators, and at different levels.

/me puts hand up

Also, "moderators" - people who drop out of the sky on the heads of
those who misbehave.

What about if we dream up a whole new group: facilitators? bridges?
just plain helpers?

Moderating could then be our last resort?

Cheers,

- --
Patricia Fraser
On the move
Gnu/Linux 1997-2008 #283226 counter.li.org
Dark Side - approach with caution