[Mageia-discuss] Wish List

Sigrid Carrera sigrid.carrera at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 4 21:07:15 CEST 2010

Hi,

Am Mon, 04 Oct 2010 09:45:24 -0400
schrieb andré <andr55 at laposte.net>:

> André Machado a écrit :
> >> Mageia 23, Mageia 37. Sounds good? At least for me it doesn't :)
> >>
> Since a distro like Mageia is a collection of applications from
> various sources, it is useful to indicate at least the year in the
> version number, to indicate generally the vintage of the applications
> contained. I favour something like 2010.1 for this fall, or 2011.0
> for the spring. (avoiding the car model type numbering of Mandriva,
> which would be "2011.0" and "2011.1".)
> It could just as easily be 10.1 or 11.0, for a shorter number that is
> somewhat more distinct from Mandriva numbering.  But with the full
> year included, it is obvious that it is indeed the year.

I don't see where you avoid the "car model type numbering"? You still
get 2011.0 and 2011.1, so where is the difference?

I do see the reason for including the distro version number in the RPM
name.

To be clear, I do like the year as version number, so I don't want to
remove this. I think, this is the easiest thing to figure out on your
own. It doesn't need any lengthy explanation.

> A name like "Breezy something" (I forget what), indicates nothing
> about its age to those not very familiar with the distro, is it older
> or newer than "somethingelse" from the same distro ?

AFAIK, Ubuntu goes on alphabetically, so something that starts with "B"
should be significantly older than something that starts with "J". I'm
just curious, how they will handle this, when they are through the
alphabet - do they start again at "A"? ;)

Sigrid (aka eskroni)