[Mageia-discuss] Wish List

Graham Lauder yorick_ at openoffice.org
Mon Oct 4 21:33:48 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 05 Oct 2010 06:20:54 Marc Paré wrote:
> > No, i must confess that I didn't use a modem since a long time ( the
> > only one I used is the one of my mobile phone, and I used wvdial (not
> > user friendly) and network-manager ( not sure it can work with non 3g
> > modem )), so I cannot really tell where to look for filling a bug
> > report.
> >
> > But I think you are right and that's important to make sure that it work
> > fine.
>
> I think that we often forget that some users struggle with dial-up
> connections. André pointed this out to us a couple of posts ago. Mageia
> should maybe be a little more sensitive to this and have the tools for
> dial-up connection already installed rather than having the user go back
> and download either from the install disk or internet.

Yes please do that, one reason I went to openSUSE is the fact that dialup was
so simple to set up.  It installed wvdial and qinternet if it detected a modem
during install, it even prelists all the dialup providers phone numbers so you
just click through and it's done.  Brilliant.

> My mother and father/mother-in-laws are on Madriva 2009.1 Dial-ups with
> external modems. They are quite happy with the setups, but I did have to
> install the dial-up software at the time. Apparently Kppp will be part
> of the install package with KDE installs.
>
> I prefer external modems, less driver problems.

indeed

> Dial-up in Canada is $9/month Cdn. in most cities.
>
> Marc

Cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org