[Mageia-discuss] IRC community channels - need a ruling from the board

Hoyt Duff hoytduff at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 04:36:42 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Richard <richard.j.walker at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> So I reckon that somewhere for English speaking people from the UK to hang out
> is, I think, a great idea - so long as we don't need to present our passports
> to prove citizenship:-)
>
> Richard

I disagree. As a US Enlgish speaker, I also wrote for the UK-based
Linux Format magazine. There are differences in US and UK English, but
none so severe that meaning is lost. Many idioms are shared or at
least understandable.

I appreciate the efforts of non-native English speakers to converse in
English, and even in those instances where they are speaking only a
bare approximation of English, I am still able to understand them.

I see no need for a GB-only enclave and believe it would only serve to
isolate them from the larger community. OTOH, where a Linux-oriented
community exists where many do not speake English in any manner, a
local-language forun serves to include them in the larger community
where the lingua-franca is English.

--
Cheers,
Hoyt