[Mageia-discuss] mageia logo: my proposals

Dale Huckeby spock at evansville.net
Thu Oct 7 00:37:09 CEST 2010

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010, BenBois wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to present to you some logos I made for mageia.
>
> For their story:
> First, I designed a shape around the letter "m" to be easily and quickly identifiable.
> After that, the idea has been to choose the colors: Orange and blue
> the next step has been to find a clear, light and modern font: Greyscale Basic (http://www.greyscale.net/basic/)
> Finally, I've played with 2 ideas:
> Idea 1- The letter and a symbol (in memory of the past): a star, a square and a circle with some light effects in cartoon
> style.
> - http://www.flickr.com/photos/26770725@N06/5055100228/in/pool-1491252@N24/
> - http://www.flickr.com/photos/26770725@N06/5054849005/in/pool-1491252@N24/
> - http://www.flickr.com/photos/26770725@N06/5054850303/in/pool-1491252@N24/
>
> Idea 2- The letter like a button with the same light effects plus a version in plain color.
> - http://www.flickr.com/photos/26770725@N06/5056128779/in/pool-1491252@N24/
> - http://www.flickr.com/photos/26770725@N06/5056128789/in/pool-1491252@N24/
> - http://www.flickr.com/photos/26770725@N06/5056128783/in/pool-1491252@N24/
> - http://www.flickr.com/photos/26770725@N06/5056128785/in/pool-1491252@N24/

Thanks for the presentations. However, speaking just for myself, I don't
at all care for logo designs which are basically a fancy "m", or which
feature a wand, a rounded star or other elements that are a more or less
literal-minded evocation of the Mandrake-Mageia-magic connection or of
past Mandrake-Mandriva logos. What do coke, pepsi or other brand symbols
"mean" in and of themselves? Nothing at all. They're abstact designs
that have come to evoke "coke", "pepsi", etc. We need an abstract design
to evoke Mageia without overly literal representation. Just my opinion.

Dale Huckeby