[Mageia-discuss] rpm compatibility

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 16:02:00 CEST 2010

On 8 October 2010 10:56, Morgan Leijström <fri at tribun.eu> wrote:
> On mandriva forum [1] now was a post about OpenSuSE build system can package
> rpm so they work on different Linux distributions.
>
> http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/cross_distribution_package_how_to
>
> "The Build Service can reliably package rpms for not only openSUSE, but also
> recent SLES, CentOS, Fedora, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Ubuntu, Debian and
> Mandriva distributions."
>
> It may not need much more work?
>
> Benefit is that maybe more work could be shared between distributions.
>
> And if other dists could use Mageia packages, it is a way to draw attention ;)
>
> But maybe it slows other progress such as future move to rpm5, general
> installation and build system development?
>
> [1]: http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=132237

This looks like a service for upstream projects that want to provide
binary rpms for various distros (e.g. wine, although I don't think
wine uses OBS).

Each distro has different tweaks for building packages, different rpm
macros... etc. For example due to the, rather awesome, rpm
filetriggers in Mandriva/will-be-in-Mageia, we don't need to add
anything in the spec files to update menu files, icon theme caches,
compress manpages, install info files... etc.

Also note that dependencies across distros aren't named the same. IINM
the closest distro to Mandriva/Mageia is Fedora, in the way
packages/deps are named, but even in this case they name python
packages differently for example.

--
Ahmad Samir