[Mageia-discuss] IRC community channels - need a ruling from the board

andré andr55 at laposte.net
Sun Oct 10 06:12:16 CEST 2010

Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2010/10/4 Marc Paré<marc at marcpare.com>:
>
>> Sometimes it is just too far gone to change.
>>
> Exactly this is my point.
> But if you can't change everything you have to leave everythign as it
> is, IRC channels included.

Just in case you didn't see my previous post, the language code for
german is NOT "ger".
ISO 639 defines language codes.  (See Wikipedia.)
"ger" is only for historical bibliographic reference to language groups,
as there apparently are some other reference systems that use this code.
For other uses, you should use either "de" or "deu".
Note that even english speakers moderately familiar with Internet would
expect german to be classed under "de".

Personally, I would prefer keeping the 2-letter code in most cases, and
appending a 2-letter country code if a country wishes a local channel,
like the UK.
e.g. en-UK, just like used in localisations.
For some less common languages, a 3-letter code could be appropriate.

- André (andre999)