[Mageia-discuss] Install Mageia from Windows

Morgan Leijström fri at tribun.eu
Mon Oct 11 12:34:14 CEST 2010

Den 2010-10-11 11:55:19 skrev Juergen Harms:
> Reading this thread, I have the impression that - at least - part of the
> question might be a problem of documentation (availability / visibility).
>
> Documentation addressed at Windows users who are interested on having a
> go at Linux should be easy to find and high quality. Maybe that is an
> issue which the documentation group should pick up. Is there also a
> technical issue where Mageia - with a reasonable effort - could add to
> its attractivity?

Yes

Some appealing nice well thought through guidance wold be very good.

Visibly linked from Mageia main page "how to try" leading to a wiki page with
short intros of  LiveCD/USB, and installation methods for VM, whole disk,
dual boot or, as suggested, some method to install into a loopmounted file
like wubi.  Or methods to use a USB stick or drive, like
http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=130007

...With links going further to one page per method.

Also the installation instructions should also be *in pdf* so the user can
print them out and read then while he is installing...!
-Including how to connect to internet after install!

Not to forget, i think a nice section about how to choose method is very
important, like how to tell if his system can boot on CD or USB and remedy
that (BIOS setting), and pros and cons (i.e speed, compatibility...)

BTW, googling Wubi, it looks very good, but i would still prefer running from
CD or USB stick (for persistence) if i was a careful person trying Linux
first time.