[Mageia-discuss] Install Mageia from Windows

hmehdia hmehdia at 9online.fr
Mon Oct 11 14:32:25 CEST 2010

Le 11/10/2010 09:01, Lucien-Henry Horvath a écrit :

> Le 11 oct. 2010 à 08:01, "herman" <herman at aeronetworks.ca> a écrit :
>
>> Yes, VMware Player has USB support.
>
> But don't permit to use the bluetooth or the wifi connection, or the
> integrated pcmcia card of the hardware.
>
>>> Remember : the objective is have a dual boot. so ...
>> Dual boot is good for playing games on Windows, but you are trying to
>> run Linux, so you probably don't need 3D video support.  Dual boot is so
>> 20th century... ;)
> Because games like chess 3D or Nexuiz or chromium or glest don't run
> better with the last 3d drivers ?
>
> Ok, I use PC since the precedent century, and it's one of the reason
> why I understand the utility of this technic.

I'm an IT trainer, I've been searching for  a long time, solutions for
improving my ecologist side ,fed up with burning medias. ;) (saving
time, expansive...)
> That's start in troll. Virtualization, or reasons of dualboot or not,
> are not the subject.
right

> Subject is install a linux on a PC where windows is already
> functionnal with no ability to use an other device than network and
> hard disk.
Then I found alternatives:
1) on my network I used  mdv and drakpxelinux in less than 15 minutes to
set up my DHCP/PXE/NFS server, but had to tweak config file, cause GUI
is MDV-centric (of course) which ask for and initrd image file (memstest
doesn't need), in order to create an entry.
So now I can boot any computer on LAN which can boot over network (PXE)  to:
  - install MDV 2010.1
  - run MemTest86+
  - start within 3 minutes Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop (Trying this week to do
either with MDV one...)
I'd like to write a tut on it, soon, waiting for  *documentation team*
starts

2) take a loot at http://goodbye-microsoft.com/ which provide gNewSense
using Debian-Installer loader.
May be we need to think about such a tool for Mageia project ?

LLTM (Long Life To Mageia)
Regards,

Mehdi

--