[Mageia-discuss] Mageia logo proposals and selection

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 06:47:48 CEST 2010

On 15 October 2010 02:19, Graham Lauder <yorick_ at openoffice.org> wrote:
> On Friday 15 Oct 2010 12:14:04 J.A. Magallón wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 22:30:25 +1300, Graham Lauder <yorick_ at openoffice.org>
> wrote:
>> > We are in the desktop computing market, the chunk we want a part of is at
>> > present occupied by MS.  In this market the name we want to promote is
>> > Mageia, we have no need to identify with Linux.
>>
>> Don't know how much salt I need for this, but please don't even try that,
>> specially for non techincal people.
>> They will think: ah, I can choose Windows, Linux or Mageia. Lets try some
>> linux, people talk well about it...who will I impress if I said I installed
>> a 'Mageia' ?
>
> If Impressing someone else with their Computing platform is important to a
> person, they will go Mac.
>
>> Compare to 'hey, I finally found a Linux distro I can use', 'which one',
>> 'mageia', 'mmm, lets try it...'.
>
> The plethora of distributions simply adds confusion.  Are people deciding on
> Mac deciding between OSX and FreeBSD?
>
> For nontechnical people Linux is confusing, because nontechnical people aren't
> going to be able to make a sensible choice between a deb based or rpm based,
> Gnome centric or KDE centric, zypper yum or apt and on and on.
>
> Ask a nontechnical user "What is a distribution?"  what do you think the
> answer would be.  People identify with brands.  The question that they will
> most likely ask is Windows, Ubuntu, Mac or Mageia?(eventually :)  )  Linux
> will feature for some but only a small minority.

I don't think any respectable Linux distro should go the Ubuntu way in
the branding part. Promoting ourselves as just "Mageia" not as
"Mageia, a Linux distro", even implicitly, is just wrong. People who
contribute to the FOSS world still have ethics and "values" to uphold.
I don't care if it's commercially successful or not, and we _can be a
successful Linux distro_.

Now I don't see anything wrong in getting users to educate themselves
on what Linux is, that's a 10 minute search on the internet :)

--
Ahmad Samir