[Mageia-discuss] Mageia logo proposals and selection

Marcello Anni marcello.anni at alice.it
Fri Oct 15 17:00:00 CEST 2010

> On 15 October 2010 16:22, Marcello Anni <marcello.anni at alice.it> wrote:
> >> I don't think any respectable Linux distro should go the Ubuntu way in
> >> the branding part. Promoting ourselves as just "Mageia" not as
> >> "Mageia, a Linux distro", even implicitly, is just wrong. People who
> >> contribute to the FOSS world still have ethics and "values" to uphold.
> >> I don't care if it's commercially successful or not, and we _can be a
> >> successful Linux distro_.
> >
> > i'd prefer a user that chooses mageia as it is and then he becomes
> > interested in linux and in its community (and values) than considering
> > mageia as a linux distro and not to trying it as he thinks it is too
> > diffult...  do you agree?
> >

> > Marcello
>
> It's the other way around, the user is interested in Linux, for whatever
> reason: - economical, he can't afford windows
> - usability, he's tired of fixing his windows boxes... etc
> - ideological, he wants to use free open source software

no, we don't want to search those people. the people that choose linux for
these reasons have already installed linux in their machines, we must
comunicate to the people that think "linux is ugly and  difficult to use" that
there is the best system around the world and that they didn't try it yet.

> then he looks for a distro and start using it.
>
> Of course seeing an OS on a friend's machine may be an incentive to
> give that "thing" a shot, but he should know what he's about to use.

more than seeing an OS from their friends (that is really useful anyway,
overall in the first steps), i would like to change the synonim linux=difficult.
if you change it (as it happened often to me), they say to you "ah, cool", but
they won't ever install it .

cheers,
Marcello