[Mageia-discuss] Mageia logo proposals and selection

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Tue Oct 19 00:38:39 CEST 2010

Le mardi 19 octobre 2010 à 09:06 +1300, Graham Lauder a écrit :
> On Tuesday 19 Oct 2010 04:27:29 Frank Griffin wrote:

> > In FOSS, it doesn't.  If enough people agree with your objective, you
> > may find that you have enough critical mass to produce a derived distro
> > with a face and personality which matches your objectives.
>
> This is one of the interesting elements of FOSS marketing that I've talked
> about in the past.  That Marketing department, which in a corporate world
> always has the ear of management more so than the Development people simply
> because of human interaction capabilities, has to turn it's focus inward.  The
> problem is, an one I've been trying to avoid here, is that it becomes insular
> to the exclusion of all else and then the community stagnates and spirals into
> irrelevancy.  For the community to grow there has to be a dynamism, (and I'm
> talking grow in terms of the community of contributors)  Userland is the big
> billboard of that dynamism.  Ubuntu for all it's faults and annoyances has
> taught us one thing, high visibility in Userland attracts contributors.

Then what Fedora and Debian has taught us ?

Because AFAIK there is also lots of contributors in Fedora, as there is
in Debian, and I think they didn't really choose the high visibility
path to get them. So I do not think we can really find a direct
correlation between "ubuntu has lots of users" and "there is lots of
contribution".

My own opinion is that Canonical pay 5 people full time to take care of
the community growth
( http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/07/26/the-five-horsemen/ ), and that's
the main reason for contribution from outsiders. The same goes for
Fedora and Redhat
( http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CommunityArchitecture )

--
Michael Scherer