[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Sat Oct 23 15:26:32 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-23 06:51, Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2010/10/23 Morgan Leijström<fri at tribun.eu>:
>> Cathegories are good.
>
> Yes and no.
>
> For the purposes introduced in this thread categories are good, no doubt.
>
> But what about the average home computer for a user who wants to do
> all the internet tasks, some image editing, some vector graphics, some
> office work (text, calculations), some communication (video chat),
> listening to music, watching videos, etc. plus serving all the data to
> his wife's Windows machine and plus playing the occasional game? This
> is the average package selection in most home computers - i've never
> seen a home computer which matches one single category, it's more
> likely a mix of apps from all categories.
> As these tasks are spread all over the categories the user will have
> to install all categories (including all the stuff he does not
> want/need) just to have those few apps he needs. Or he is back to
> individual package selection which is fine for the advanced user but
> which we want to avoid for the new/inexperienced user.

Hi Wobo:

I don't think this would be the intent of these categories, there would
of course be cross-category software but the user could certainly tag
more than one category than another.

There could even be some kind of information bubble for each category
detailing the type of software assigned to it.

Marc