[Mageia-discuss] network balancing by default

Luca Berra bluca at vodka.it
Sun Oct 24 22:39:29 CEST 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 11:43:28AM +0200, Maarten Vanraes wrote:
>I would propose the following:
>
>A.) by default, add for every interface, a little advanced routing which makes
>packets return from the same way they came.
>This usually is only useful with incoming packets, but can still be useful if
>laptops have for example 2 gateways because the wifi is still on and the cable
>is too. That would mean that from both interfaces it'd be possible to use ssh
>or vnc or whatever.
this is possible with incoming packets, but, how do you select the
source of a new one?

>B.) if we have multiple gateways (like in that case), have them use both
>balancedly. ie: start a small daemon which checks which of the gateways is up
>or down; and change the default gateway accordingly, or even both in some kind
>of balanced mode. (with advanced routing.)
This could go wrong in so many ways i would not even try:
i.e. how do you determine if a gateway is up? dont tell me icmp, many
firewall refuse it, and vrrp standard says the backup gateway should not
answer icmp echo.

Luca Berra -- bluca at vodka.it