[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Tue Oct 26 01:35:54 CEST 2010

Le lundi 25 octobre 2010 à 17:56 -0400, andre999 a écrit :
> Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :

> (or

> something

> ignored

> I like

> > > Yea I think that having it all in the same bugzilla is best,
> though
>
> > > most newbees are not going to think of posting the issue in a
> bug
>
> > > report. Most newbees are going to think that bug reports are
> for
>
> > > the software not working right. So I think we need to somehow
> let
>
> > > the newbees know that bugzilla is the place to report
> improvements
>
> > > needed in rpm documentation.
>

> >  That's where the part is coming in which you cut from the quote of
> my
>
> >  mail :)
>
> What about "docuzilla", a place to treat documentation ?
>
> There is a fundamental difference between software bugs, and
> documentation considerations.
> Software bugs often do not have an obvious cause, and generally require
> a level of technical
>   expertise that surpasses the average user.
> For documentation, the problem, and its solution, are generally obvious
> to an average user who understands the language in question.

I am sorry to tell that so abruptly, but I think this would be wrong :

1) this would create confusion. If a software do not act like
documented, is this a error of documentation or a error of the
software ? How do we expect people to decide ?

2) do you really think that having twice the cognitive load will better
for a regular user ? ( ie having to learn 1 system, then another for a
different class of problem )

3) do you really think that developers would like to have such
dispersion ? ( ie having to look at 2 place to find stuff to correct ? )
( in case there is 2 different system, of course )

And if we take the current bugzilla instance at mandriva
( https://qa.mandriva.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Mandriva%
20Linux&format=guided ), what part would be changed for documentation of
rpm, ie what do you think that should be removed ?

The 2 only thing I can think of would be
"url" ( who is optional ) and mainly because I would also likely remove
it for regular software.

I would also remove the privacy option, because it somewhat irrelevant
with the current set of option for documentation, but I doubt this would
warrant a full change in the interface.

--
Michael Scherer