[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 07:38:52 CEST 2010

On 25 October 2010 20:26, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2010/10/25 Wayne Sallee <Wayne at waynesallee.com>:
>> Marc Paré wrote on 10/25/2010 12:31 AM:
>>>
>>> BTW, in my opinion, the default GUI setting in the MCC was not a right
>>> choice.
>>>
>> Yes, that most definitely needs to be fixed.
>
> +100 !
>
> That was asked for many times in the past.
> We even have it on the list for user's first steps after installation:
> "Change view in rpmdrake to 'All' otherwise you will not find all
> packages you are looking for." Time to change the default.

Well, misc had a point of view that's valid IMHO; you see, a user
(especially a new one) doesn't really need to see lib packages, and
there're more lib packages than main packages from any src.rpm :)

So having it set to "All" when a user searches for something will give
him a lot of results that he probably doesn't care about (e.g.
searching for amarok, he just wants the main package not the lib or
-scripts or -utils ones... etc).

So the whole "Packages with GUI" is good in principal but the
implementation needs a bit of fine tuning. Michael proposed to leave
it as "Packages with GUI" _but_ to offer a way to notify the user
"hey, there're more search results, click here to see them" or
something like that. That's a good solution IMO.

P.S. yes, I too can't count how many times "Packages with GUI" was
posted in the forum, especially to new/unsuspecting users.

--
Ahmad Samir