[Mageia-discuss] what aabout an automated way of doing it?

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Thu Oct 28 01:49:00 CEST 2010

Dj Marian a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I´m new around, but could the program be made to be aware when someone
> searches for a specific thing?
> If i search vlc, it would be for sure that i want the player... and if
> i want a lib thing i write the name and it should be recognized that i
> need a lib and not a program with ´lib´ in it´s name.
> Also if i actually search for a program with ´lib´ in the name, a
> button should auto appear to show less results ( meaning just
> GUI´s)... and if i want vlc lib´s, a button with show more results...
>
> ´lib´ and´vlc´ are just for the sake of simplicity
>
> I hope i´m not annoying,
> Dan.

Not at all annoying.  Asking questions is a good way to learn.

First of all, Rpmdrake (the graphic installer under Mandriva and
initially under Mageia), has a search field at top right.
You can search by package name (the default), description, summary, or
name of a fichier installed by the package.  A match occurs if the
search text occurs anywhere in the field being searched.
If searching names for "vlc", for example, all packages with "vlc"
anywhere in the name will be listed.
Similarly if you want to list packages with "lib" in the name.
Note that most libraries do NOT contain "lib" in the name.  Libraries
are generally, but not always, found in the system/library/ group.
Rpmdrake does list dependancies (including libraries) not already
installed under the package name, as "new dependancies".  This would be
probably all you need.
To list all dependancies (including those already installed), you can
use the command-line "urpmq --requires {package-name}".

Note that only packages in currently active repositories are listed.
(Actually, sometimes packages in previously active repositories are also
listed, but that's a bug.)
So you have to be careful to ensure that the repositories of interest
are active.
(Which is another question, which I could explain if you wish.)

Just out of curiosity, you have what sort of Linux or other background ?
(That info will help others help you.)
Don't be afraid to ask more questions.  It's a sign of intelligence :)

- André