[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Thu Oct 28 03:45:52 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-27 20:21, andre999 a écrit :

> I and others have already suggested this in various posts, and I sure
> hope that we implement this. It is very doable.
>
> Since Mozilla started it, it has dramatically improved the completeness
> of French translations, in which I was involved, even though many
> translators at first complained about having to react in real time.
> Virtually all localisations - except EN-US :) - showed significant
> improvements in completeness, a number reaching 100%. A rare feat before.
>
> The new LibreOffice is using this method, as was done under OpenOffice.
> Because of restrictions by Sun (continued by Oracle), LibreOffice has to
> redo all the translations.
> A big job, but this method really helps. Sun insisted that all
> contributors had to submit a hard-copy signed contract to assign their
> copyright to Sun, which severely limited contributions, including my own.
> LibreOffice is initially using about the same organisation, but no
> copyright assignment.
> Interestingly, much like Mageia, LibreOffice has attracted most of the
> key contributors. But surprisingly, Oracle is insisting that
> contributors decide : OpenOffice or LibreOffice, but not both. Note that
> most of the development work on OpenOffice has been done by contributors
> paid by Sun/Oracle, unlike the situation with Mandriva.

It is certainly getting a lot of attention in these threads and it seems
that overall people are agreeable to it. I think that if someone wrote
up the process once again, according to what people on the list thought
was agreeable it could maybe be put in place. As you said it is very
doable and it seems to me that it is a winning item for all of us.

Marc