[Mageia-discuss] what aabout an automated way of doing it?

Renaud MICHEL r.h.michel+mageia at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 18:17:23 CEST 2010

On vendredi 29 octobre 2010 at 16:50, Catalin Florin RUSSEN wrote :
> You cannot read the mind of an user, but you can install an agent (small
> app)  that register his habits, his installed, applications, his desktop
> parameters in a central account and reproduce them on a new install, ie.
> from version Mageia 2011 to Mageia 2012 :)

Desktop and other applications configuration are stored in the user's home
directory, so if you have a separate /home partition (which mandriva does by
default, I guess mageia will too), even if you re-install you won't lose
your configuration.
But it is much easier to upgrade instead of doing a fresh install, that will
keep all your installed programs (except for conflicts) and your system
configuration.

As a personal note, I don't like the idea of a daemon that would register
what I do with my computer.

--
Renaud Michel