[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Fri Oct 29 20:18:04 CEST 2010

Kira a écrit :

> 在 Fri, 29 Oct 2010 21:47:26 +0800, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
> <renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org>寫道:
>> Fot such a case, a CD .iso that does a minimal install (with all locales
>> offered), and leave the big packages (OO, Gimp, all the games etc) to be
>> downloaded at leisure later.
>> Cheers,
>> Ron.
> Then they won't be able to demo too much things to other people and
> gain other's interest into Mageia. If the Live-CD version uses the same
> strategy as the Mandriva time, then I think there won't be such
> Live-CD version.
> The most close one is the mininal-dual arch CD, but that doesn't work
> as Live CD.

It would be useful to have more regional CD ISOs, with fewer
localisations, to save a lot of space.
In the past, my boot/operating system partition had very limited space.
By removing unused localisations - not counting separate localisation
packages, which weren't installed - I was able to save some 15% of
installed space on this partition.  (Note that my Home directory and all
personnal files were on other partitions.)

I think that OpenOffice (or LibreOffice or Go-OO variants) is important
to include.
By minimizing the localisations, of which each has its own package in
Openoffice (or the variants), a lot of space would be freed.
Excluding Gimp, which is huge, is not a bad idea, as many would not be
editing photos, and it could be always downloaded separately.
As for games, there are many small games - it's just excluding the
larger games that would save much space.

By the way, a CD ISO can be written to a DVD.  The advantage is faster
and more reliable writing (initially) and faster reading.  As well, a
somewhat larger size is not a problem for a DVD.
Of course it helps to have access to a DVD writer, and at least a reader
capable of reading a DVD on the computer of the install.

Note that presently Mandriva has a limited choise of ISOs :
1) Live installable "one" CDs - which start very slowly, and if
installed, don't give a choice of what to install (at least in the past).
These give a choice of KDE or Gnome desktops, and localisations by (very
large) regions.
Which of course could be installed on a DVD for greater speed.

2) A installable non-live "dual" 32-bit/64-bit CD, for a minimal
installation.

3) 2 installable non-live DVDs, one 32-bit, the other 64-bit, for a full
installation.

So presently (since at least a year or two) there are no ISOs focused on
users who wish make complete installations from CDs, instead of using a
DVD, or downloading a lot of applications individually via Internet.

In other words, nothing focused on bandwidth-restricted users.
Unless, of course, they get the DVD (or CD) without downloading it
themselves.
Which brings to mind the idea of shipping or otherwise distributing
ready-written DVDs and live CDs.  And why not a live DVD ?

my 2 cents :)

- André