[Mageia-discuss] Mageia-discuss Digest, Vol 2, Issue 137

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Fri Oct 29 21:42:26 CEST 2010

Dj Marian a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> So instead of guessing, or saving on the internet maybe a quick
> question at the beginning of the install asking ´How do you rate your
> experience with linux?´ beginner medium advanced expert... new ones
> should get a small list to choose programs from (tested and easy to
> use soft)... and some easy way to find what isn´t in the small list
>
> Dan.

Interesting idea.
This idea nicely complements something in a lot of posts - having groups
available to select during installation, instead of or as well as
detailed selection by package.
Suggested groups have included young family, home office, education
(preschool/primary/secondary/post-secondary), small business, gamer,
developer, and many others that I can't think of for the moment.
These groups would be overlapping, as applications like Firefox and
OpenOffice (or one of the variants, Go-oo or LibreOffice) would probably
be in several groups.

Now during installation there are only Server and Internet user groups,
if I remember correctly.

I like the 4 levels - a lot better than only beginner/expert.
And the small list for new users.
And much easier to implement than guessing.
Another advantage being that those helping (on forums, etc) would be
able to know what exactly the user is seeing.
Definitely worth considering. :)

- André