[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

Graham Lauder yorick_ at openoffice.org
Sun Oct 31 02:12:29 CET 2010

On Saturday 30 Oct 2010 02:47:26 Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI wrote:
> On Friday 29 October 2010, my mailbox was graced by a missive
>
>  from Kira <elegant.pegasus at gmail.com> who wrote:
> > This one is already been replied: In some place in this world, some
> > countries don't have enough bandwidth to support such big downloading
> > data(May cause days...).
> > A might perfect solution is that making custom images according to the
> > need of downloader, but currently we don't seem to have such plan.
>
> Fot such a case, a CD .iso that does a minimal install (with all locales
> offered), and leave the big packages (OO, Gimp, all the games etc) to be
> downloaded at leisure later.

Oh god nonono! You obviously have a broadband connection.

> Cheers,
>
> Ron.

CD or DVD, either is too big to download on my dialup.  a 700meg cd would take
a week to download considering that I have to keep phone line free during the
day and early evening.(that's of course as long as the server supports
resuming and the download doesn't break, which of course you don't find out
until the end, then you have to start all over. :/

People with limited connectivity want to be able to obtain media with
everything they are likely to need plus all the options if possible.

It's why I went with OpenSUSE rather than Ubuntu,  Suse comes on a dualsided
DVD, 64 bit one side, 32 bit the other, live gnome and kde sessions on both
sides and lots of options so that you can install a full system of your choice
from desktop to webserver without needing a broadband connection.

Ubuntu on the other hand /only/ comes on CD with one DE and a basic desktop
only install and it assumes you have a network connection, yet it can't setup
a dialup connection during install, MDK 8.0 used to do that no problem.

Please, DVD and a way to obtain the media at a reasonable price.

Cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org