[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Wed Nov 3 20:16:22 CET 2010

* andre999 (andr55 at laposte.net) wrote:
> Donald Stewart a écrit :
>> On 1 November 2010 10:24, Marc Paré<marc at marcpare.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Le 2010-11-01 06:00, Philippe DIDIER a écrit :
>>>

>> Using delta rpms would reduce the size of the updates, or has my lack
>> of understanding of delta roms got in the way?
>>

> Delta rpms, relative to the latest distro release, are long overdue.
> (And not only in the Mandriva world.  Also for Mozilla, OpenOffice, etc.)
> Note that for much commercial software, updates are normally delta.
> Such updates are often erroneously called patches.
> This may be partly a limitation of rpm packages, or more the programs
> that install/update such packages.  If so, it should be a priority to
> correct this lack.

The problem of delta rpm is the work need to generated alls delta and
the space need on mirrors to host everything.
We must provide delta for each version to the next one:

- main foo-1
- upd  foo-2 D: 1->2
       foo-3 D: 2->3 and 1->3 ?
       foo-4 D: 3->4 and 1->4, 2->4 ?

etc...
What if delta 1->4 is bigger than the package itself ? and for 2->4 ?

Delta rpm is hard to manage (any volunteer to write the tools to manage
this ?) and as bonus, I am not sure it is still compatible with our
current rpm...

> However, the idea of update ISOs is good as well.
> This could be facilitated by the option of downloading the latest update
> for each package of the release not already present in the download
> destination (and preferably removing outdated updates).
> There is already an option for Rpmdrake to not erase downloaded packages.
> (Unfortunately one must manually edit a configuration file to select it,
> but that can easily be corrected.)
> It also would be useful to have the option to change the download
> destination.
> With these changes, creating an update ISO would be only a matter of
> copying the contents of the update directory to an ISO.
> Of course, an utility to directly create an update ISO from the
> repository would be useful, but the advantage of the above approach is
> that a moderately limited bandwidth user could download updates as
> produced (that is over an extended period), and produce complete update
> ISOs for others at any time.

Just think we don't have an infinite space on mirror. Even the sound
good, please try to estimated the cost it can be per release.

BTW, regarding is download, I am thinking for a long time we must
provide par2 parity files. It can help low bandwidth to end download.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parchive

--

Olivier Thauvin
CNRS  -  LATMOS