[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

Luca Berra bluca at vodka.it
Wed Nov 3 22:45:02 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 07:59:23AM +0100, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
>2010/11/3 Luca Berra <bluca at vodka.it>:
>>
>> I don't know what to say...
>> I think the idea behind jigdo is very nice, but probably in our fast
>> moving and consumistic world anything that goes against waste of
>> resources is uncool.
>
>I did not say one single word against or in favor or about the
>application itself.

that is the problem

>> I wonder if you and others took the time to look at what the thing does
>> besides reading the warning and jumping at the chance to bash me.
>
>Where did I (or anybody else) bash you? All I wrote was my personal
>habit with applications which show such warnings. I never ever wrote
>anything about you. If you had the impression of a personal offense I
>surely apologize, it was not meant to be one.

I took no personal offense, but I would like to understand if for you, the
user, the users group that do actually create custom isos for the group
members, it would be useful to have a tool that can create, i.e. an
updated iso starting from the base iso you downloaded some months ago
and a set of updates you download from the net.

it would allow to distribute countless different isos from a single
release (cds, dvds, dl, bd, custom isos dedicated to some particular
task), without requiring mirror owners to devote 50/100GiB to a single
mageia release.

>If the package turns out to be maintained by Red Hat (or somebody
>else) everything is ok, my evalutation was based on the website
>warning.

if the idea turns out to be useful surely some time can be spent in
taking care of the package, even if the original autor does not care
about it, it is open source, anybody could step up and take caro of it.

if you don't give a damn about the idea or if you think it is silly, i
would accept your point of view.

Luca Berra -- bluca at vodka.it